Here are 12 Tips to bring out the best in our children.
Education is the best legacy and inheritance a child can be given.
1. Educate our children: Let us attend conferences, read suggested books (educational books), Check websites for children expected behavior, consult an educationist and see how we can better our children’s academic performances. I have learnt that parents who educate their children boost their children’s self confidence and produce the best children.
2. Know our children: create time to study our children, give them quality attention and know our children’s friends.
3. Be our children’s best teacher: Ensure our children learn at least one new thing every day (no knowledge is a waste), go through our children’s homework and see how we can make contributions to the already existing knowledge. Teach our children to make presentations even at home, teach our children morals, and see that they unlearn any bad behavior noticed.
Stop our children from making negative statements, for instance “I cannot” when they should be positive.
Avoid using negative words on them.
4. Attend our children’s PTA meeting and Ensure we make Positive contribution.
5. Be our children’s best friend: Children have more confidence in their friends than their parents. They feel their secrets are secured with their friends than parents. They can tell their friends any secret.
If our children see us as their friend we can influence them 100%.
This is because they will see us as their peer, partner, confidant and counsellor that will not condemn them but will partner with them to brainstorm on how to solve their problems. Let us be our children’s best friend, Let us not shy away from our responsibilities. Let us ensure we try our best in footing our children’s bills and make them happy always.
6. Encourage our children: Discover our children’s potentials and see how we can develop them. Use words like good, excellent, wonderful to encourage them. Call them good names like my hero, my doctor, my professor, my pastor etc.
7. Discipline our children: Discipline techniques are most effective when our children know they are being cared for and they know they receive rewards for their good behaviour. Avoid beating our children as punishment, it is not a corrective measure. It is child abuse.
The principle of the Carrot and the Stick can work at home if practised with caution.
Make our children understand the consequences of their behavior.
8. Reward our children for good behavior: There are different ways of rewarding our children so we just have to be creative about it. We can take our children out, buy gifts, allow their friends visit etc.
9. Teach our Children to be domesticated: Children should be fond of home life and housework. Find out appropriate chores for kids and assign our children household chores. Giving our children chores helps them to be responsible, hardworking, fast and creative.
10. Save for our children: We should save before spending, we should not be extravagant.
11. Be a role model to our children: Avoid practicing bad habits. Live an exemplary life. They are watching and would follow our footsteps.
Children copy and learn fast.
12. Consult our pastor for prayers and counselings if need be. Children are heritage from The Lord, the pens in our hands and can display whatever we use them to write: whatever we use our children to write that is what we see. Let us mould our children in the way of The Lord. God bless our children!!